California Gold 2017
Presented by the House of Glitter in conjunction with the Council of Grand Dukes and Grand Duchesses of San Francisco
Official Rules and Regulations
First check in Sep 30th and no later than 3:00pm for order drawing and tech rehearsal. If you need a specific time slot for rehearsal, you can arrange it a head of time with the floor manager. You may get ready at The Cafe or elsewhere as long as you are back for pageant check in at 5pm. The pageant starts promptly at 5pm. Contestant must be 21 or older at time of pageant as well as any backups. Application fee is $50 and can be paid by contestant or by show/bar sponsor, priority will be given to those who are sponsored. Checks can be made out to the SF Ducal Court (PO box 420905, SF, CA 94142) or contact to find out how to transfer electronic funds. Entry fee is due by Sep 15.
Contest is open to members across the gender spectrum including drag queens, drag kings, faux kings, faux queens and the transgender community. The winner of the California Gold Pageant will be required to raise at least $500 or more in fundraising for the organization of the contestant’s choice within a year of receiving the title, per the application form via the SF Ducal Council. 80% of the funds raised from the pageant will go to the winning contestant’s chosen charity and the remaining 20% to the Ducal Court. The funds will be distributed at the Ducal Court’s Annual Gala in August. Winner will also be required to attend the Ducal Coronation at Sep 2018 as well as the step down for the next California Gold Pageant.
Judging will be on a total point system as scored by judges appointed by the California Gold committee. The committee will provide the score sheets. In the event of a tie, the higher score in the talent category will break the tie. Contestants will be judged in the following categories:
Social media: You will need to prepare a video no more than 3 minutes long to introduce yourself and promote the pageant. You will be scored by the number of unique “likes” you receive in this part of the competition and it will be added to your overall score. This video should be posted to the California Gold Pageant facebook account starting on Sep 15th and all ‘likes” will be counted as the end of pageant on Sep 30th at 11am.
Creative Dress: This year’s creative dress theme is Hair God/Goddess Fantasy . Show us who you are and remember to be creative and embody your style in the use of hair (think Hair Show). We will read from your application about what inspired your look. Please provide your own music for your walk in this category on CD. This is an opportunity to walk the runway and show off your look and is not meant to be lip sync, so your music doesn’t need to have words. (the best music should be tied to the look, so consider it carefully)
Gown with Personal Interview/Onstage Question: Your bio will be read during this category so please be creative in telling us about you or your drag persona. The first question will be about your charity. The second question will be randomly chosen.
Talent: Any type of talent presentation is acceptable except those that cause injury to the audience or any other person. No fire, live animals or the excessive use of confetti may be used in any talent presentations. The talent should be no more than 5 minutes. Presentations longer than 5 minutes will have points deducted. Prop set-up and tear down will be limited to 4 minutes totals.
Ticket Sales: Contestants will have an added advantage by preselling tickets to friends, supporters and family. 10 tickets sold = base 20 points, 15 tickets = 25, 20 tickets = 30. Addition points can be earned by the top three sellers 5 points for 3rd highest, 10 for 2nd highest and 15 points for the top seller. Max of 50 points. Presale tickets are $10 online and $15 at the door.
Any contestant that is not at the required place at the required time will have points deducted. If you are unsure where you are supposed to be ask the stage manager.
Contestants are limited to a maximum of four backup dancers due to the small stage. Videos will not be available in this year’s pageant.
Prizes: Crown and Sash with Gift basket worth $500 to winner which included various club bookings, gift basket worth $250 to 1st runner up.
Miss Congeniality: This is based on tips giving during the event, the contestant with the most tips collected during her categories wins. Tips are collected by volunteers during each category so as not to interfere with contestant. In the event of a tie, the tied contestants will be broken by a back stage vote cast by fellow contestants.